Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Post-Baby Body

When I decided to start playing again I knew that one of the first things I had to do was to get back in shape. I have had two C-sections and I am much older than when I started playing. I knew my body had changed, but I still had to be in shape to be able to swing the way I used to and, to be honest, I just felt bad being in my post-baby body.

When I became pregnant with my first daughter, Stella, I promised myself I would take care of my body. I ate well and I worked out about three to four times a week. I lifted weights and did cardio all the way to the end.  I remember so vividly lifting weights the day I went into labor with Stella. I gained only 23 lbs and, after six weeks, I was back to my pre-baby weight. I was that woman every girl hates.

With Luiza the story did not repeat itself.  I started working out 2 months after having Luiza.  I did not have the time or the energy to work out as much as I did with Stella. I did not gain that much more weight, only 25 lbs when all was said and done, but boy oh boy was I up for a rude awakening! At the beginning it did not matter what I did - it was like my body had frozen. It was just stuck at a certain weight.  Two months after I started working out I had not lost a single pound.


There were so many times I just wanted to give up, but I kept at it and now I am so happy I did. With a combination of working out and eating better the weight is SLOWLY going down. Luiza is 7 months old and I am still not at my pre-baby weight, but I am getting there.

Below are some of the things that have really helped me:

1. Working out first thing in the morning. If I don't do my workout in the morning the day gets away from me and I find way too many excuses.
2. Keeping it fresh: I used to lift weights and do cardio -that was it. Now I do a little bit of everything and I feel like it keeps me going. I run, spin, do bar classes, build my own work out and do some workout videos. This keeps my muscles guessing and working in many different ways which I believe has helped me to lose the weight.
3. Taking days off. I need at least two days off a week. My body just needs it.
4. Doing a workout even if I only have 20 min. I am much easier on myself because time is just limited. If I sweat for 20 minutes or so it is worth it and I just feel better.
5. I refused to buy clothes to fit the bigger me. This really kept me motivated because every time I tried something on and it did not fit I would get so mad!
6. Most of my workouts combine strength training and cardio to maximize the time I put into them.


I will post more specific workouts in the futures....oh I forgot to add that I still have 5 lbs to go. Not there yet but almost!!!!!  What are your stay-fit secrets?

No comments:

Post a Comment