Friday, July 24, 2015

Smell the Roses


This past week I had the honor of playing in the Toyota Danielle Downey Classic. It was an incredible event in honor of a great young woman who unfortunately passed away in a car accident last year. I had the honor and pleasure of staying with Danielle’s father, Mike Downey and his wife Jen Downey. My golf performance was, once again, not great, but it was an emotional week that put so much in perspective. 


Danielle Downey was a fellow LPGA Tour player and a friend who always lived life to the fullest.  She was always the life of the party, making friends wherever she went and always putting a smile on the faces of her peers.  I knew Danielle for many years through junior tournaments, college golf and later on tour.  She was an incredible talent on the golf course, always playing with such ease, but most importantly she is remembered for her talents off the golf course:  her ability to connect with people and make people laugh, and her loyal and loving nature with friends and family. 

I am so happy I had the opportunity to stay with Mr. Downey.  I cannot imagine the pain he must feel every day for the loss of his daughter.  When he talks about Danielle you can see in his eyes how much he misses her and how painful it is to have so many incredible memories, yet be unable to make new ones because her life was simply cut too short.  I was also lucky to meet Danielle’s sisters and hear more about Danielle’s stories and how the tournament came to life to honor their sister. 

My stay with the Downeys last week really touched me and put a lot of things in perspective.  I have a very big goal ahead of me and even though the past six months have not been the best competition wise, I remain hopeful that my golf game will improve and I may have the chance to play in the Olympics.  I was reminded this week to enjoy the journey as I go along and to not overlook the memories I am making and the people that have been crossing my path, both old and new.  It also reminded me what the most important things are in life - my family and friends. I am still incredibly driven towards my goal and I am working harder than ever to achieve it, but I will also take the time to smell the roses, love my family and enjoy the journey every step of the way.  Life is just too short to do otherwise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment